As soon as our headphones break, we make them a heap of plastic sitting in our drawer. However, today we will be showing you how to fix broken headphones plastic instead of ordering new ones.
Some headphone sets might be harder to work with. Therefore, you just have to diagnose the issue properly and work on them patiently.
Now, the question remains, how to fix broken headphones plastic?
The easiest way to fix your broken headphone’s plastic is by applying super glue between the broken parts and then wrapping it with scotch tape. When the broken parts are held firmly together, they will be fixed.
Fixing can be done by using some household products such as hair gel, toothpaste, or heat from a lighter as well. Discover some more easy ways in the article below.
10 Steps: How To Fix Broken Headphones Plastic?
Fixing broken headphones isn’t a hard job it is easy you have to just follow the following instructions step by step.
Step 1: Gather the materials needed
To start with, you will have to collect all the required tools to fix the plastic of your headphones. The materials needed include:
- A superglue
- A wood glue
- A clear nail polish (non-compulsory)
- A knife or a blade to cut
Once you have all the mentioned materials at hand, skip to the next step.
Step 2: Separate the broken pieces
Now, collect all the broken plastic pieces of your headphones and set them aside to work with later.
Step 3: Take superglue on cotton balls
With the help of a cotton ball, take some super glue. Make sure that you have two or three cotton balls dipped in glue beforehand so that you can replace them efficiently when needed. This way, you will not have to stop your progress midway.
Step 4: Apply glue to headphones
Once you have covered the cotton with glue, you can proceed. For this step, apply the first layer of glue to the headphone’s plastic. Use an Exacto knife (or something else that is not too sharp-edged) to properly apply glue through the broken parts.
Step 5: Add wood glue for extra protection
After the coating of superglue, add some wood glue on top of it. This will help to create an extra protective film over the plastic. Even if you drop them next time, this layer will work to protect them from breaking.
Step 6: Leave headphones to dry
Once the glue is applied properly, let your headphones dry for an hour at room temperature. You can also use a dryer for assurance.
Step 7: Apply another layer
Now that the first layer is dry, apply another layer to your headphones so that the broken parts are all fixed up. Again, leave them to dry.
Step 8: Apply tape
Use electrical tape to cover the broken parts. You can use a knife to cut through the tape if needed. For instance, if it is covering the headphone jack, cut off the unnecessary tape.
Tip: If you are unable to find the right-coloured electrical tape, just go on and spray paint the tape after application.
Step 9: Apply a varnish
This step is completely optional but if done, goes a long way. With the help of a clear sealant or varnish such as clear nail polish, cover any cracks, if left. So that, the next time your headphones fall by accident or you shove them into your bag, they do not get any scratches. Moreover, they will prevent dirt from accumulating.
Once the first layer is dry, make sure to add another layer on top of it. Before adding the second layer, make sure to wait till it dries. Repeat this step until you have achieved your desired result.
Step 10: Wait till the headphones are dry
For the last step, you just have to wait till your headphones are completely dry. The recommended time is at least 24 hours before use.
Frequently asked questions
Now that we have answered how to fix broken headphones plastic, here are some other things you might need to know:
1. Can broken headphones be repaired?
If you own a cheap pair of headphones, tossing them out is easy. But, if you have an expensive pair of headphones, you can either fix them yourself or seek professional help.
2. How to fix Bluetooth headphones when only one side works?
If only one side of your headphones is working, try these steps:
1. Try using them on any other device
2. Straighten the earphone cord to see if it works
3. Restart your device
4. Check the audio settings of the device
5. Check to see if any wire is damaged in your headphones
3. How to fix broken headphones hinge?
To fix the broken headphones hinge, you will require scissors and duct tape. Take the duct tape and tightly wrap the broken hinge with the headphone band. Now, cut the tape with the help of scissors after reaching enough length.
4. How to repair broken headphones?
To fix your broken headphones, follow these steps:
- Identify the issue in your headphone
- Plug in a different set of working headphones to make sure that the problem resides in the headphone
- Restart the audio player device
- See the setting of the headphones
- Make sure that the headphone jack is free from any accumulated dust
5. What to do with broken headphones?
There are a number of things you can do with your broken headphones. You can repair them, recycle them, donate them or trade them. Many headphone manufacturers offer recycling programs. You can dispose of your headphones properly there. All you have to do is either send or drop your headphones at their location.
6. Can broken headphones be fixed?
Yes, you can fix your broken headphones with a simple operation that involves twisting the cord and taping it in the right position or reconnecting broken headphone cables. If both of the methods do not work, you can get it fixed by a professional or buy a new pair of headphones for yourself.
7. How to fix a broken headphone?
You can fix a broken headphone by following these steps:
- Remove the ear pads of the headphones to prevent them from damaging
- Remove the screws that hold the speaker to discover the driver
- Use a small tool to pull out the broken speaker
- With the help of a soldering iron, disconnect the wires from the damaged speaker
- Replace the broken speaker
- Reverse the steps to put a new speaker back in.
8. How to fix broken wireless headphones?
If only one side of your Bluetooth wireless headphones is working, fix them by rebooting or resetting them. You can disable the mono code on your device, then reset your headphones and listen to a compatible audio file.
9. Can you fix broken headphones?
Broken headphones can be fixed. You can get headphone repair from different audio and electronic shops. Or is you are unable to find a suitable service provider, ship your headphones to the manufacturer for a fix. You might be covered by a warranty.
10. How to fix a broken headset?
To fix your broken headphones, make sure that the problem lies within your headphones and not the audio device. Add a few drops of baking soda into the superglue and mix. Apply the mixture to the broken area of your headset. To get a stronger bond, add a few more layers. The broken headphone will not stay in their place. Let it sit to dry for at least 24 hours.
11. How to Glue Broken Headphones
You can also glue your broken headphones to fix them at home. The method is pretty simple all you need to glue your broken headphones is super glue, tape (optional), and a metal wire (Optional).
- First, paste super glue on the broken part of your headphones.
- Paste glue all over the broken side.
- Before the glue dries put other broken parts on the glued part.
- Fit it completely on it and wait until super glue completely dried.
- Now cut two smaller parts of metal wire that can fit on broken headphones horizontally.
- Using super glue fix these metal wires perpendicularly to the broken side of the headphones.
- Wait until the super glue dries.
- Tape on the fixed broken headphones.
- Now your headphones are ready to use.
The article sums up how to fix broken headphones plastic. If your headphones are way too damaged and you still do not want to throw them out, you can always seek help from a professional. Maybe they can do something about it.